Man and his ironies

This is my first, observed, irony of Man/Woman that I am putting down on "paper".
Men/Women are forever using "promise" and "I swear" in their parts of speech either to prove that they are committed to a certain cause or to substantiate what they have just spoken.

For example:
he to she: I promise you that i will see you at 8 o'clock for dinner.
Does this mean that he will only see her at 8 o'clock, because he has promised her?

Let's modify the script.
he to she: I will see you at 8 o'clock for dinner.
Is he lying to her, because he hasn't promised her?

Let's take another example.

he to she: I swear, i was in the loo when you called.
This proves he's speaking the truth, because he swore!
or,
he to she: I was in the loo when you called.
He could still be telling a lie, because he didn't 'swear'.

Do you use "promise" and "swear" in your parts of speech? Why?
Does it make things simpler for you just by using them?

Labels:

“Man and his ironies”

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]